2/15/10

Arne Jacobsen: Mid-Century Scandinavian Master

Arne Jacobsen's Egg Chair
Roundup


The Scandinavians just seem to get it. Their good designs repeatedly become iconic pieces. Arne Jacobsen's Egg Chair is one of these.

I wasn't always such a fan of Mid Century Modern furniture. We had some less expensive versions when I was a kid but I didn't take much notice and we had a mix of traditional and Asian influences as well. As I grew up and became more interested in art and design, I started noticing how cool my parent's taste in furniture was. Don't you love those moments when you find out that your parents are really pretty hip?
Okay so the George Nelson pendant lamps we had were knock offs but the aesthetic was there. We certainly never had the Egg Chair but it is probably the one piece besides the Artichoke Lamp that I've always wanted for myself. It costs a pretty penny — Design Within Reach sells them starting at approx $6,000.
Read more about Arne Jacobsen in Anna's recent post Retrospect | Arne Jacobsen: Mid-Century Scandinavian Master.
Images: 1 via Daylife 2 via Bodie and Fou, 3 via Decorated Life, 4 via Desire to Inspire, 5 via The City Sage, 6 via mva studios, 7 Hallie Burton, 8 via Bloomacious, 9 via Habitually Chic, 10 via Desire to Inspire, 11 House Beautiful,12 House to Home uk, 13 Modern Design 100, 14 via Jetsetmodern , 15 Tommaso Ziffer, 16 Hotel Eisma, 17 House and Home, 18 & 19 Pointclickhome

0 comments:

Post a Comment